Monday, July 03, 2006

How to legitimize your NGO

In order to create a legitimate non-governmental organization (NGO) in the developing world, there is one major requirement. Upon arriving in country, go to the nearest auto dealership and purchase, preferably a white, Toyota Land Cruiser, but any white pick-up truck or SUV will do. Promptly return to headquarters with the vehicle and place your new logo on both the passenger and driverside doors. Poof! You have a legitimate NGO. Congratulations!

2 Comments:

At 7/03/2006 10:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK Mel - you REALLY need to share more of this story! Did you pick up on something?

Hope you had a good weekend. Dad's feeling good. Talk to you soon.

Meg

 
At 7/04/2006 5:38 AM, Blogger Melinda said...

This is just my cynical attitude commenting on the many white vehicles I see (many Toyota Land Cruisers) with NGO logos on the side. I just think it would be relatively easy to get a white SUV and slap a logo on and go around touting yourself as a legitimate NGO. And I'm sure there are people who've tried it. I'd like to think most people are working in the NGO world for the benefit of their own people, but I'm sure there are some who see it as an easy way to make good money and nothing else. Not that I believe that is the status quo.

I was having a cynical moment, nothing more.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home