Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Health Messages

From what I’ve seen so far including radio, television and billboard advertisements, the public health messages in Ghana are in full force. I’ve seen HIV/AIDS billboards- messages about condoms and abstinence. I’ve seen the Guinea Worm Eradication Campaign’s efforts here in the north to rid this country of a debilitating water-related disease. One of the most interesting messages I’ve seen on television is a warning to Ghanaians about the rise in cardiovascular disease in the country.

This is more evidence of the growing dual burden of disease in developing countries. They have to confront both the infectious disease burden of malaria and water/sanitation related diseases while building their health system to support the growing number of people with what have been typically considered “Western” or developed world diseases such as cardiovascular disease. This shift to a dual burden is the result of changes in both diet and an increase in sedentary lifestyles. Much of this can be attributed to growing urbanization in developing nations as people from rural areas move to get access to electricity, water, health services, etc. and change their lifestyle accordingly.

While this is a growing concern in developing nations, Americans have been faced with cardiovascular disease as a major cause of death for decades. It seems that my family is not exempt from this disease as my father is to undergo heart surgery on Friday to repair a leaking valve and perform a few bypasses as well. I would be lying if I didn’t say that I’m bit a nervous being so far away. I seem to have a poor track record for leaving the country and people passing away at home. So, I would ask that you keep my father in your thoughts and prayers this week- that he may have a successful surgery and quick recovery.

2 Comments:

At 6/22/2006 10:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Melinda. Have been reading with great interest your comments on Ghana and your reason for being there. Very commendable. Thanks to you, I now am geting educated on another part of the world. I will spend tomorrow with your mom at the hospital during your dad's surgery. All will be well.

Marijo Bullis

 
At 6/22/2006 11:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Melinda,

Well, you know my issues, but know I'll be thinking about your dad and your family tomorrow. Keep me posted.

You're in my thoughts,
Jeni

 

Post a Comment

<< Home