Wednesday, June 28, 2006

I take my life into my hands every time I cross the Bolgatanga Road....

I witnessed my first road traffic accident this morning. I'm surprised it took so long when trucks, buses, taxis, private vehicles, bicycles, motorcyclists, and pedestrians all share a small two-lane highway with a wide shoulder. A taxi was pulling out of my street into on coming traffic and hit the back of a motorcycle that clearly had the right of way.

Luckily, the motorcyclist was not injured and both pulled over on the shoulder to try and settle the dispute. Of course the taxi driver leaves half his vehicle still in the middle of the main road making it difficult for traffic to pass and for bicyclists to pass on the shoulder. Genius, I assure you.

It's no wonder that road traffic accidents are a leading cause of premature mortality in developing countries. Emergency care is certainly not the same caliber as in developed nations and the streets are not capable of handling the flow of increasing traffic.

On another note, we were disappointed yesterday when Ghana lost to Brazil. Not surprising, but the streets were terribly quite after the game finished around 5pm. The country is still proud of their Black Stars and is anxiously awaiting the African Cup (held in Ghana in 2008) to prove their football achievements.

1 Comments:

At 6/28/2006 10:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

melinda,

thanks for harvesting the prayers and well wishes from the Friends of Melinda.

we got home late yestrday PM and I have to admit I think I can do more than I really can. Have to build up the "old bod." went for a walk with Mom this am and I am glad she came along because it was very tiring just walking around our block which took about 20 to 30 minutes. pooped me out.

I have now caught up on your blog and Adams latest pictures so not much else to do but take my mid morning nap.I was great talking with you the other day and I know we will try to communicate this weekend when Joe and Megan arrive.

For now take care and all Our Love, Dad

 

Post a Comment

<< Home