Friday, July 14, 2006

Here are the pictures I wanted to post on Tuesday, but wasn't able to.

Market Day- Melinda with the Filters (the ceramic filter sits inside the top of the bucket inside a hole created in the plastic cover, you can see it on the bucket to the right of me.)

Fiila FM DJ- a humble radio station


Hamdiyah and her sister making fufu.


Melinda's New Clothes

I decided that I needed a Ghanaian outfit both for church on Sundays and to remember my time here in Ghana. I bought some fabric in town and then Hamdiyah’s seamstress helped me pick out the design and took my measurements. In less than 4 days my outfit was ready and I was able to wear it to church on Sunday. So maybe this is not the most flattering picture of me, but it will give you and idea of the traditional dress.

Savannah Picture

To give you an idea of the scenery, here’s a picture of the savannah at sunset. The brother of the caretaker at the guesthouse works for the Guinea Worm Eradication Program and offered to take me to look at some dams in another rural district. I got some great pictures because it was a couple of hours before sunset.

Networking Success

After tracking down the local Peace Corps volunteers, I think I may actually have some semblance of a social life these last few weeks in Tamale. I will be meeting up with a group of volunteers on Saturday evening when they are having a party at their house here in town. Because Ghana is such a large country and Tamale is a regional hub, there is a Peace Corps house for volunteers to stay the night on their way to or from the capital. One volunteer, Jessica, has invited me up to her site for a visit, which is about 45 minutes north of Tamale. She lives in a rural, traditional village with no water, electricity or other amenities. Sound familiar? I think I’ll be taking her up on that visit to get out of town for a change.

1 Comments:

At 7/15/2006 1:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing the pictures. It's nice to be able to put a face to the people in your stories.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home